Kalfa Law is a boutique tax law and corporate-commercial law firm located in Toronto, Ontario. The corporate & commercial lawyers and tax lawyers at Kalfa Law specialize in the distinct areas of Corporate-Commercial/Business Law and Tax law, providing our clients with focused legal advice in our specialized practice areas. Our experienced lawyers pride themselves on providing services that align with our firm’s founding principles of honesty, integrity, reliability, and value.
Business Start Ups
Our corporate-commercial lawyers assist business start-ups of every kind– corporations, partnerships, sole proprietorships and joint ventures– with the following:
- Establishing corporate structure
- Preparation of corporate minute book
- Preparation of management compensation plans
- Preparation of employment and shareholders agreements
Existing and Growing Businesses
Our business lawyers also assist existing and growing businesses with:
- Changing corporate structures, either through the expansion of shareholders and investors or the reduction of existing directors and/or officers.
- Preparing contracts and agreements of all kinds including
- employment contracts;
- confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements;
- non-competition agreements;
- distribution agreements;
- service agreements;
- terms & conditions;
- privacy policies;
- and the preparation of commercial leases between landlords and tenants.
- Commercial financing
- Corporate restructuring such as 85 rollovers and 86 estate freezes
- Shareholder disputes
- Corporate tax structures and tax plans
Purchase and Sale of Businesses
Our lawyers routinely assist with the legal purchase and sale of businesses across a variety of industries, including those in the food, health, medical, dental, trade, wholesale distribution, fashion, mining, and technology sectors.
Own a business? We’re here to help ™
Our tax lawyers provide tax-planning services to individuals and businesses requiring personal, corporate, international, and estate planning solutions, helping to avoid potential problems, reduce tax burdens and maximize wealth.
The tax division in our law firm collaborates with our corporate-commercial/business law division in the preparation of corporate tax structures, providing optimally integrative solutions for the following:
- Tax burdens
- International trade and commerce; transfer pricing
- Foreign incorporation and offshore tax planning
- Corporate restructuring
Our cost-effective tax plans and strategies meet the dynamic and evolving nature of your business as it grows and changes over time. Our tax planning services enable businesses to access eligible deductions and benefits, defer the paying of taxes to a later date, and pay taxes at a lower marginal tax rate:
- S85 rollover
- S86 estate freezes, exchanges and reorganizations
- Income sprinkling
- Disposition of assets under tax shelters
- Contributions to registered and private plans to reduce taxable income
Need a tax plan? We’re here to help™
The tax lawyers at Kalfa Law assists individuals and corporate clients in tax disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency or Department of Justice.
Resolving Tax Disputes with the CRA
We prepare comprehensive submissions and appeals to the CRA that defend and further our clients’ interests in the following circumstances:
- Denial of Deductions
- Denial of Benefits and Credits
- Pre-Assessment or Post-Assessment Review
- Notice of Objection (Internal Appeals)
- Arbitrary Assessments
Where necessary, our lawyers will bring matters to the Tax Court of Canada or Federal Court of Canada to appeal the decision of the CRA.
Tax Payer Relief
Our experienced tax lawyers assist our clients in reducing their tax debt by preparing Taxpayer Relief Applications to reduce or eliminate the ballooning penalties and interest levied by the CRA.
Voluntary Disclosure Program
Our tax law team prepare Voluntary Disclosure applications for clients who have failed to report their full income or offshore holdings in previous taxation years, allowing them to correct incorrect filings without the CRA’s imposition of harsh penalties and interest.
Lifting of CRA’s Penalties
For those clients who experience the CRA’s more severe collection and enforcement actions, such as garnishments, liens and seizures, our tax lawyers negotiate with the CRA to lift the enforcement actions and establish a voluntary payment plan.
Got a tax problem? We’re here to help ™